Wednesday, October 28

Position open for a good/evil witch- salary neg

Obsessed by a fairy tale, we spend our lives searching for a magic door and a lost kingdom of peace - Eugene O'Neill
 
I'm guilty of it. I'd love nothing more than a knight in squeaky clean armour to trot on by with his trusty stead, sweep me off my feet and ride into the shimmering sunset to a magical world where life is perfect, raspberries are always in season and I never have to worry about getting my legs waxed. In fact if I wasn't so impatient in general then perhaps I'd even indulge in a little courting, some duals, a couple of sneaky dwarves and potentially a witch of some sort (no initial preference for good or bad but prominent warts mandatory, nose warts favoured). Although being kidnapped avec trusty steed whilst waiting for a mouse driven pumpkin-taxi to turn up might not be the ideal way to start a relationship even if he did have a cute ride...
 
But even if I did make it through all that and found the elusive magic door - What would be so different? What am I expecting to find? Would I live in a cute little place like I do now or would I find myself in a drafty old castle with limited heat and too many stairs? Would I be in a thriving cosmopolitan city where I can jump on a plane at any moment or find myself in the depth of the forest 2 days by carriage from the nearest cocktail bar?
 
I don't think it's a case of 'keeping up with the Jones's' or 'the grass is always greener'...essentially I'm searching for a place that doesn't exist. For things that will forever be a step ahead of me. And even though I'm ticking more boxes in life than ever before (granted not all of them) I'm still feeling like that magical door must be there and it must lead to a place closer to my heart than even I, myself can create. Everything we are missing must be the secret, and must lead there. No matter how great our lives are we're forever searching for more. Yet each thing we desire, once gained is fleeting. And yet somehow we believe that the accumulation of these things the only way to find that entrance way.
 
Well I doubt it. Yes, perhaps in Never Never Land my skin would be a little clearer, my wit a little sharper, my legs hairless and my charming boyfriend iron clad with a cute horse but in fact would I still end up searching for the next doorway out? Where does it end? When do we realise that the magical doorway and the kingdom of lost peace aren't places that you should save to visit? They are places that we live all the time, if we bothered to stop, stand still and enjoy the now.
 
Maybe the story should go 'Once upon a time there was a little girl with silky hair and a cheeky smile and even though life wasn't always perfect, eventually she lived happily ever after.' Granted it wouldn't be so entertaining, but it would make us happier with who we are, and less determined to rely on magical doorways and kingdoms far far...shit, go to go, my mouse driven pumpkin-taxi is here and I can't even find my magical castle keys...waaaaaaaait! And now I've lost a shoe - could my life be any worse right now!?!