Thursday, October 22

Piggy banks need not apply

I understand that we're all a little cash, and for that matter stock, real estate and offshore investment poor right now so perhaps its not the best time to be expecting much dating wise. But frankly I don't care that the economic climate is in flux, in fact it impresses me even more when a guy asks for my company, but with me you've got about 3 dates max to impress. Its longer than the 7 seconds with which we size each other up and its not the month that I know some of my friends reward men with willy-nilly. With 3 dates over a week or two I'm pretty much in or out. And if that's the case, and your serious, boys this is not the time to be pinching your pennies.
 
Don't get me wrong I've been backpacking, slept in horrid dank places where rats turned up their noses, slamed their mini suitcases and scuttled out, I pick my toast up off the floor observing the 10 second rule, and yes I even do it occasionally when it lands face down as long as no one is looking, I buy second hand (now re-invented as 'vintage') clothes and I'll always re-use a tea bag. Granted I do have a high end designer addiction which I have no intention of giving up as well as a killer crux for amazing food and going out every night. About the only thing that I'm good at is not catching taxis except in the rain - but only by virtue of convincing myself that its keeping my legs toned...or so a slim French woman once told me.
 
To me what you invest in the first stages of development will only benefit you in the further resort development stages. A smart investor doesn't skimp on the foundations of a building project. Its just not done. Even saying that, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I don't think it can be said that once a relationship is in full construction mode I’m very demanding. Yes, one of Mr. Big's final comments to me was how much I had cost him (lets put that down to hurt feelings shall we). But, well frankly buddy if I'd have known the slightest earthquake would bring it smashing down around our ears I would have hired cabs to do laps of the city on your account and convinced you to go on more holidays. To Barbados.
 
The 3 date rule gives me a pretty good idea as to who you are, what you like and if we can make each other laugh enough to bother. So given that I'm hoping you've asked me to dinner to start some kind of relationship this is not the time to be bashful. Don't get me wrong you don't need a white table cloth lain atrium of cherry trees but I'd be grateful to find I'm not clad in my latest Herve Bondage dress at Nando’s Fried Chicken. 

Somewhere in the middle ground - cooking at home is good blend of impressive and elegant and shows you care (and cook) - but to me there is nothing better than planning it out, picking her up, opening the cab door, ordering the wine and chatting until the place closes, walking her home, kissing her on the door step and praying that her stomch is doing as many flips as yours. It's old fashioned, it's lovely and you'll only ever get one (well maybe three) shots at it.
 
Winston Churchill had the right idea when he said, "I am a man of simple tastes, I’m easily satisfied with the best". And frankly, economic landslides and all I see nothing wrong with that.