Monday, October 19

No drinks needed, just a faulty elevator please

The need for a fresh perspective on Friday night made me trek across-town to go out. After some hilarious chatter over a home cooked meal and competitive lounge dancing to random 80's tracks including my shameful new Barbara Streisand obsession- Sorry world. We then ventured to a cool local bar, a place so trendy I never know if I warrant being let in. At the other end of the bar were two hotties and so with limited options of approach the 'point and beckon' came into play. The girls laugh when I employ this method, learnt from a friend in NYC with a faultless track record recruiting the opposite sex, it's the boldest but best move ever.
 
You'd think hot guys used to being crushed on would be more cool/casual but it unfailingly it gets them walking across a room to you. It's very simple really, you literally point at someone and then beckon them over, they'll do the 'me, huh?' then look if there is anyone behind them...but don't lose courage...once again nod, smile, point and beckon at them...and without fail, they'll forget they have a friend / conversation / dinner reservation / brain...and will stroll on over. Its gold.
 
I tend to follow this up by simply giving them a killer smile, sticking out my hand and say 'Hi, I'm Mikey who are you?' It's a refreshing change from a pick up line or lame joke and gets an intrigued look a laugh and a response.
 
I've just never been a fan of the pick up line - they in no way feel genuine. 'You look really familiar' - is my pet hate. Frankly I'm no more striking than the next girl so of course I look familiar, there are HUNDREDS of girls all over the city who look like me or at least are the same height and have the same hair colour! Idiot. If you want to talk to me, say hi, hold your hand out like a nice human being, smile and introduce yourself. I promise I'll react to that better than 'Whats a girl like you doing in a place like this' and a seedy wink, even said in jest. I really don't know what takes over men when they are forced to 'make contact'? Perhaps they momentarily become 13 and rejected by the coolest girl in school, or perhaps they can't remember if they forgot to feed the cat or turn the iron off or maybe they just can't think of a normal way to interact so desperately revert to the cheat sheet they were forced to memorized during their greasy early teens.
 
We meet people everyday and have little interactions - from taxi drivers to people at the gym to occupants of elevators (side note: a great place to strike up 'trapped conversation participation' and in fact, a good place to break the ice with the hot guy in your building, gradually moving to 'one-liner interaction' and then finally progressing to cocktail suggestion). And yet - factor in a bar, a few brewskis and woman and they're struck dumb. They see us and something explodes in their brain making it impossible to say anything normal in the first 2 minutes. It must be chemical - like a small glitch that couldn't be sufficiently worked out before the product launch.
 
So its for this reason - I'll open the conversation, as long as your entertaining enough to continue it. I'll take a hit for the team, suck up some courage and get you over here with a beckon of the finger but its your job from then on to make me want to stay. And if the world ends and I can't find a functional one that way, I guess I'm going to have to turn elevator riding into a sport. Time to Google for a list of all the tallest buildings and anti-air sickness tablets.
 
Going up miss?
Yes please...lets start with the penthouse.