Monday, November 16

Pre heat the oven and add a pinch of perfection

Saturday early evening saw 4 girls sitting down to a beautiful home cooked meal after a few glasses of vino. One of my best friends, Miss MQueen is on a mission. She is going to be the perfect housewife. 50's style. No matter that there is no boyfriend currently on the scene. This quest is more about her personal growth than expanding the belly of her current crush.

She has been cooking each weekend for near on a month and each meal gets more delicious and more perfected. Besides her phenomenal cooking prowess, I admire her brazen bird-flip to modern feminist notions that women should be shirking the stereotyped nipped-waist and court heeled 50's wife. And in turn, abandoning the art forms they so lovingly nurtured.

It might sound archaic but I think most of us take pride in keeping a beautiful house, cooking impeccable dishes, hosting parties and carrying on interesting table conversation- so why not make it official? I love the commitment this girl has to making it a delicate and elegant art form again. To be the perfect wife is something long forgotten in the ambitions of young women today. I know. I'm one of them. And until Miss MQueen boldly stated her aim, goal and hypothesis- it never occurred to me that trail blazing through the kitchen might be one of the best things we can do.

So it might be cheesy (fondu style please) and to some it might be regressively thinking but frankly as long as my belly is full and I'm on the weekly guinea pig dinner party list then I'm fully supporting her super-housewife mission. One day she is going to make a very special man a very full one.