Monday, November 23

I might not have felt at home when I got there, but I sure as hell didn't want to leave!

There are some landmarks we really aren't that excited to reach. School, work, adulthood, the grocery store, home after a great night out, the pee stained end of the swimming pool, our room in an old people's home, the cemetery, or anywhere playing bad 80's slasher music.
 
I'm currently not that excited to get to 25. I'd love to do a re-run of 24, but to be honest, I'm not really sure how far that year got me either. Perhaps I should look back and nominate the perfect year. And there, yet again, I'm stuck - there doesn't seem to be a year I can pin point and scream - YES! THERE! THAT WAS IT! STOP THE TAPE! LETS FILM IT AGAIN!
 
My 18th year involved a lot of terrified sneaking into American University night clubs, the 19th a lot of arrogant skating over my studies when all I wanted was to be done, my 20th a lot of day-time sleeping in front of a computer in NYC the solution to which I thought was to run away to France and eat too much, my 21st year was about a spectacular party, but I had to wait till December for that - so it ended up being a year of waiting. The 22nd year was all about screaming around the desert and the world, but I didn't have family or friends with me - so that was just hard. 23 was all about a man who ended up getting more attention than he was worth and thus we reach the year of 24 - this year. I'm only just settling into my 24th year skin, and now I'm meant to try the next size on? I don't think so, it's not going to fit, I don't like the colour of it, it looks funny and I don't have ANY shoes to match it, I can tell you that now.
 
And quite frankly, why do I need to change my outfit? I don't look cute anymore? Is this all about getting older, wiser, more clever, rounded or worldly? If wiser is what I'm meant to be getting what do I make of the fact that frankly I just think I'm getting more drunk on a more regular basis? And even more shockingly - what if that thought doesn't bother me in the slightest. You lot get married - I'll get drunk.
 
I refuse to give up my sparkly mini shorts, my cocktail habit, my penchant for stupid dancing, my love of chips and twizlers, my obsession with cheesy pop music and my short-attention span dating. And yes, I probably said all this last year. But upon reflection, turning 24 wasn't so bad. And sure, I might not have felt at home when I got there, but I sure as hell don't want to leave now!