Monday, November 9

Got Milk?

I was at dinner on Saturday night with a friend and after devouring cocktails we were finally seated in a buzzing dining room. She and I were warming up for a mischievous evening of stupid dancing when to our surprise two glasses were sent to the table. I'd love to say that it was champagne, or a fine wine or even something crazier like tequila, but no. We received two glasses of milk. Unadulterated, sweet and simple, milk.
 
The curiosity at it's arrival was hilarious. We couldn't stop laughing and in fact invited the gentlemen to sit at our table for a while. Turns out they were charming Irish boys and thought the milk was a good idea (Note: they were also trying to send us cookies). Point is - it got me thinking about what I expected in certain situations and how nice it was to receive something out of left field. To be honest it was a total delight. I've become so used to men buying drinks, sending champagne or planning dinner that I've forgotten about all the other (maybe more simple) fun things...What about going to beach? Bowling? Ice skating? Mexican cat throwing? Why do I always assume a date has to revolve around food, drink and a chance to wear high heels? Where has all the good old fashioned fun gone?
 
I've not laughed as hard as I did with these two guys in ages, and it made me think - have I become too serious in my pursuit of fun? Perhaps we think having fun is childish - something we are desperately trying not to be. But what's so negative about that? Do we act really like children? Perhaps we just treat each other like children? Or, more sadly, are we interviewing each other to have them?
 
Regardless, when did we get so serious? My resolve is to start sending more milk. I think it might get us all a little bit further, and if it doesn't it certainly will get a laugh.