Tuesday, February 23

The Golden Triangle vs. The Bermuda Triangle

I got an email today from the Dutchy - well it has been about two millennia (aka. 4 months), his man-pager must be going off. He wrote a very sweet little note which included the line, "I felt like I had nothing to offer". Let's get some perspective here, I realise he had just been told he would be fathering a child with his ex-girlfriend, and that shook things up - but to think you have nothing to offer? Rather dramatic.

So if that was the case, I wonder what he thought he was missing? If you’re not in possession of all three corners of life's triangle are you really in danger of being labeled incomplete? Not incomplete for ourselves but incomplete for others. Job, apartment and love - the evil trilogy, and oh how we ponder them. The question that intrigues me is, do we honestly expect perfection in ourselves and others? How do we define these sneaky little joints of life? And do we really think we need to achieve all three? Or is that like jamming a square plug in a round hole over and over and over again?

To add slightly more confusion to the black board explanation, there are ceaseless forms of triangles - acute, obtuse, equilateral, right angle, isosceles or scalene - so even according to the seemingly ridged mathematic principles, shouldn't there be just as many ways to measure value? And not the 'value of X in this equation' version of value either. But the 'something to offer vs. nothing to offer' equation. My head hurts. I'm not the biggest math genius on the planet but I'd say judging your own value on behalf of someone else, your bound to end up with the wrong answer (at least according to the text book anyway).

Well, whatever the situation, whilst Dutchy might not be for me, I don't think it's fair that he sells himself short like that. Then again, how much of the world or math’s or love or that strange sport curling do we just accept and get used to and how much do we really understand anyway?