Thursday, December 3

It's a man's world...

I met a kid last night who has been nicknamed Hercules by Miss Mascara. Don't get me wrong, he's not obnoxiously big or arrogant or boastful or anything in fact quite the opposite (it's just that he has Hercules curls). But he's definitely a man's man, and he makes no apologies for it. I love it. No boys need apply. I see them with their trendy jeans and their hip-hop walks- and I think I envy their skinny legs and their flat butts more than anything, but I don't think I could date one of them. I firmly believe that you cannot date a man with a smaller ass than yourself. It's just wrong and bad for self esteem.
 
Granted, the metro-sexual movement has done a lot for the male species and in turn the female ilk, I give it that. We no longer have to endure mono-brows peering out unsuspectingly from supermarket isles, we can breathe easily knowing that most men will at least try keep nether-regions clipped and tidy as opposed to the wooly mammoth vibe and those under 45 will try to trim nose/ear/toe hair in a regular fashion. In fact, viewing this list, I think mostly the metro theme has simply removed unwanted hair from obnoxious locations. It did give us men who 'feel' things, who talk about emotions, who want to hear about our own, who write poetry and think being romantic is no longer only for cheesy Italian crooners. It produced artsy guys and adorable geeky ones, gave rock stars the ability to let a little human show through it tried to bridge the gap between the Neanderthal and the Frank Sinatra every man has inside. All of which is fine my me, but every now and then when you run into a guy who does all this, and still manages to be more 'man' than 'metro' - it's a nice change.
 
Metro-men...it's been great, and I've had a lot of fun, and seen some great sweater-shirt combos, but I wonder if I could be so bold as to ask if there could be another movement started please? One where men are all of the above, and more, and will still catch a mouse, chop the firewood and grill a good steak?

Needless to say, you don't have to be Greek or Roman Gods, but to be fair - it would help.